My lungi is on. My paani puri is spicy. My coke has chaat masala. My TV shows nothing but cricket. Today, my inner Indian is in control. Because today, folks, it is all about BOLLYWOOD!! I adore Hollywood, I really do. But if you’re born on Indian soil, there is juts something which will make you come back to B-Town.
Bollywood is where people break into song at any time (bonus points if it’s completely random) and somehow already know every dance move. Bollywood is where he always gets the girl, because that plane at that airport will always delay take off just enough to make sure the guy reaches in time to make his girlfriend stay (every time, people). Bollywood is where lifting helicopters or trucks or three girls at once, is all in a day’s work. Bollywood is where the national anthem plays before any movie at any theatre, and after it ends, there will be one over-enthusiastic Pappu who yells ‘Bhaarat maata ki!’ and suddenly everyone is united in a ‘JAI!!’. You da man, Pappu.
But most importantly, Bollywood has SHAH RUKH KHAN.
Person: OMG SRK SUX
Me: excuse you?
Person: Yeah, like, he’s such a loser.
Person: He’s like SO overrated omg
Person: Why are you so quiet?
Me: Why are you still here? Your poor standards aren’t going to raise themselves honey.
Okay, I might have exaggerated a little bit (ha not really). But seriously, I love SRK, and frankly, I don’t have any other choice. My mom was pressurising me to go to college in London where his son studies, so that we could get married and she could finally meet King Khan. Doesn’t matter if that’s impractical, improbable, and absolutely nuts. All jokes aside though, he is such a cool guy. He is so intelligent, witty, charming, and don’t even get me started on his acting.
I don’t think you want to be here all day.
The worst, absolute WORST SRK complaint I hear is “He’s so old ew”
He’s OLD? So’s your grandma, but I don’t see you hating on her.
But anyway, I LOVE SRK, so be prepared to see a lot of his movies in this list: a list of my all time faveeee Bollywood movies.
There’s gonna be some old-timey classics, and some new ones too! Here they are:
- DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge). Romeo and Juliet are SO last season. Raj and Simran all the way 🙂
- My Name Is Khan. One of SRK’s best performances, a very inspiring must-see.
- We Are Family. I loooooove this one!
- 3 Idiots. The best message for our Indian audience. Mentalities need to change sometimes 🙂 . Hilarious and amazing.
- Om Shanti Om. Two of my favourite Bollywood stars in one movie! This is timeless, and I will judge you if you haven’t seen it.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hain. My mom says she owes Shah Rukh Khan for raising me when I was about 2 years old. We had just moved to Australia, and while dad was slaving away at work all day, mom had to build a home for us when we had almost nothing in terms of possessions. She used to go about her work, knowing that KKHH was on repeat and I would be occupied for hours. At the time, I used to call Shah Rukh Khan ‘Chocky Kan’.
- Dil Dhadakne Do. This is a family favourite, because we see a creepy resemblance to my mom’s side of the family. It is so amazingly funny. Hey, it has Ranveer Singh. It’s bound to be a super hit.
- Bajirao Mastani. I’m not one for history usually, but I was just in awe of the grandeur and the authenticity of this film. My two favourite actresses, Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra (the one and only) looked so good and acted even better. And Ranveer, well, he’s just spectacular 24/7.
- Badrinath Ki Dulhania. Oh my god please, can we take a moment to appreciate the legendary Alia Bhatt? Sure, she’s new, but she is here to stay. Her, plus comedy central Varun Dhawan, equals guaranteed entertainment.
- Yeh Jawaani Hain Deewani. Yes yes yes yes yes Deepika and Ranbir yessssss.
Don’t worry, this is not the whole list! I’ll be back another time with some more, because it is crazy difficult to pick favourites when you’re dealing with Bollywood 🙂 .
I hope you enjoyed this post, it was so much fun for me to write! Leave me a comment if you love Bollywood and King Khan down below! Actually you can leave me a comment whenever you feel like doing so, then I’ll know you had fun here!
And I know people are entitled to their own opinions and stuff,
But if you don’t like SRK,
I’m judging you.
Thanks for reading 🙂
ThePastryPoet, signing off.